Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) has five primary goals in the treatment of Lymphedema.
- Move stagnant lymph out of the tissues.
- Assist in the reduction of swelling.
- Help control swelling.
- Soften fibrotic tissue.
- Improve the patient’s general health.
There are three primary components of CDT. They are:
- Manual lymph drainage.
- The use of compression techniques.
- Self-management procedures.
- The self-management techniques include self-massage, compression methods, skin care and daily exercise.